Sunday 2 December 2007

Week Five

Hello Everyone,
I have good news to report, Phil came home from the hospital on Monday. He is doing very well walking around by himself although he does have to use a cane. Lynne was concerned because the staircase to the bathrooms and bedrooms is quite steep. Although he's a bit wobbly on his feet, we were both impressed at how well he was able to move about. Phil is a very determined person. He is really itching to get back in the studio but he knows he should really take it easy for a week or so. It is great to have him back; everyone at home missed him. Although he feels badly that this happened, it has given me an opportunity to ask many questions about pottery since he can't do much else except sit and chat. I have been working on teapots; they are a bugger to make. Most of them will not get saved as they are just practice. I came in from the workshop at dusk. Phil was sitting in front of the fireplace and we talked for an hour about pricing work, pottery trends in different countries and his path to becoming a potter. It is great to have these conversations; they are a valuable part of my time here. Oxford was fantastic. I was picked up by a friendly Welsh potter named Jennifer Hall on Friday afternoon. We made the 3 1/2 hour journey safely and in good time. Jennifer makes low-fire slip ware that is quite decorated. I was able to help her set up her booth and lend a hand to a few other potters. I only had to put out some leaflets and books on my little table, it was a little depressing. My table was next to Lisa Hammond's booth (www.mazehill-pottery.com). Lisa is a talented potter who lives in London. I first saw her work when she was featured on the cover of Ceramics Monthly this summer. She is a good friend of Lynne and Phil's. She has a Japanese apprentice named Yoji Yamada who came to help her at Oxford. After set-up we met up with John and Jude Jelfs (www.cotswoldpottery.co.uk); both are artists and organizers of the fair. The Rogers always stay with the Jelfs during this fair so they graciously hosted me for the weekend. Lisa and Yoji also stayed with the Jelfs. Jack and Lucie, the Jelfs' 30 and 26 year old children, came in from London to help for the weekend. It was a full house but we had a fun time together. John and Jude live in the Cotswolds, an area of England that is characterized by sandstone architecture. When you drive through their village, Bourton-on-the-water, all the houses are this toasty, gold color that almost glow when the sun is low in the sky. Regrettably, the weather was unsuitable for taking pictures. Like the Rogers, the Jelfs' house is FULL of pots and lovely art treasures. I enjoyed being a guest in their home. The fair was busy and crowded. I got a big piece of poster board and put it out for people to sign as a get well card for Phil. Jack drew a funny comic on the front. By the end of the weekend, there was hardly any space left on it! Many people came to Oxford to see Phil and buy his pots. Imagine their disappointment when they were instead greeted by me and the horrible news of his accident. There were many concerned friends and customers (or "punters" as they're called here). I got to meet Ruthanne Tudball (www.ruthannetudball.com), a potter who was born in California but now lives in England. I knew her work from a soda-glaze class I took in college. Other potters I met were Mike Dodd, Peter Beard, and Micki Schloessingk. What a great experience! On Sunday, Yoji and I went out for a walk around Oxford while Lisa kept an eye on my table. Oxford is a very big city and you would need more than a week to see everything. I don't think we even got into the heart of the city. There were many colleges and beautifully landscaped courtyards and gardens. Many of the buildings looked like they used to be churches and had intricate windows and brickwork. We found a canal lined with fancy houses and boats and also, a good Lebanese restaurant that sold a delicious lunchbox meal for 3 pounds! In all, I had a good learning experience and was able to see a lot. Sunday night, after the 2 day fair, Jennifer and I made the long journey back to Wales, exhausted. It looks like this weekend will also be an adventure. Lisa is coming to visit tomorrow and I will be going back to London with her. I will stay with Lynne and Phil's daughter, Claire, for a few days then stay with Lisa for a bit. Claire and her husband Simon have two boys, 8 and 5. Claire says the older one, Charlie will be fascinated to meet me as he knows America to be a land of yellow taxis and Disneyland. The British children are so cute with their accents. There are many museums and sights to see in London so it should be a great trip. Phil is hoping that when I get back he will be a bit more mobile and strong. To pass the time, he has been looking for another Honda CRV and doing computer stuff like designing postcards and sending email. The get well cards have been pouring in, including some from the states. I am happy to say that he is staying positive and determined. Let's hope his progress continues and that his recovery will be thorough and quick. The pictures I have included are of Jennifer Hall and her booth, Yoji with Lisa's booth, all of us who stayed at the Jelfs (Yoji, Lisa, Lucie, Jack, Jude, John and me), and the venue- a building at St. Edwards which is a prestigious private school. There was a gorgeous rings of solid lavender in the middle of the green in front of the building. Thank you to everyone who has sent their warm wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery; they are much appreciated.

No comments: