Sunday 2 December 2007

Week Nine

Hello Everyone,

Tacky tinsel cutouts, sparkling lights and annoying tv "adverts" are all indicators that December is here. As much as I dislike the over-commercialization of this holiday I love observing the birth of Jesus and all the warm and fun memories that are made this time of year. When you drive into Rhayader at night there is now a string of electric lights suspended above the street that reads "Welcome to Rhayader". Back home in NH a big snowstorm is expected. I was also shocked to hear about the hostage situation at the Hilary Clinton campaign office in nearby Rochester, NH. Halfway across the world, I was watching the 11 o'clock news with Lynne when the story came on. At least nobody was harmed! Now, when someone here asks where I'm from I can site that incident and they will surely know where NH is. I've noticed people here are much more informed about world politics than the average American.
At the beginning of the week Phil and I worked in the studio. He got some small bowls and yunomis made. Good news- he does not have a detached retina! Also, he got a rental car and is back in the driver's seat. I am glad he was able to jump back in without anxiety. He is having significant pain in his shoulder and in his sprained foot. How frustrating for him to be limited by these physical discomforts. He is getting bored not being in the studio so this week he is determined to get some pots made! Let's hope his body cooperates!
On Wednesday, Phil and I drove down to Jason and Julianne's for some life drawing. They live about 30 minutes away and it is such a lovely drive. It was a bit overcast and drizzly. There were fantastic clouds so low their misty bases were settled on the tops of the velvety green hills. Staring out the window was a feast for the eyes! As a painter, Julie often goes to figure drawing sessions. A few people got together and hired a wonderful model named Ocean. Phil, being the king of puns, said to her, "So your name is Ocean? Could you be a bit more Pacific?" He comes up with some good ones. I had not done any figure drawing since my junior year of college so it was good to do it again. I did make a few nice drawings, so did Phil. Lynne came back from New York City in the evening. She had a great trip with her girlfriends and enjoyed nice weather and safe travel.
The remainder of the week was spent preparing for the Christmas sale. We had to clear out the downstairs showroom, clean it and put out old pots and seconds that Phil wanted to sell. Lynne and I decorated with holly boughs with red berries and a garland made of greens and leaves. I baked cookies and some other yummy treats. By Friday, we were getting a bit worried as the BBC was forecasting some nasty weather- hurricane force gales and lots of rain. Sure enough, we were greeted by cloudy skies and blustery winds on Saturday. Although we did have some customers it was much quieter than past years. The weather was certainly the worst I've seen since my stay here in Wales. The cold air was rushing through all the cracks in the walls, making all kinds of noise. Along with the sweet treats I made, we had other yummy nibbles plus coffee and mulled wine. I was able to meet some old friends of Lynne and Phil's along with some faithful customers and collectors. It is always good to get this kind of sales experience. It was good to see how Phil and Lynne organized and handled an event like this as I hope to host my own some day. Despite the raw weather, pots were sold and most of the food got eaten. I even got a few pots myself- a lovely green jug and an inviting and generous tea bowl. I've learned so much from Phil and his pots, I wanted a few of my own that will keep teaching me when I go home and use them.
I've been doing a lot of baking and cooking now that the cooker is hooked up. I think this week I might make some more teapots. I have so many ideas of forms I want to try- jars, baking dishes, bread pans...I could take ten life times without exhausting the possibilities of clay. In other exciting news, Phil and Lynne have asked me to return to Wales in the new year. Because of the accident, we will not be able to fire the kiln in December and do some other things we had originally planned. I will be returning in mid-January and will stay until the beginning of May. I am really looking forward to it. Phil has several shows to prepare for. We will fire his wood kiln and his oil kiln, plus I will get to see the baby lambs and another lovely season in Wales! Check out my web album for new pictures http://picasaweb.google.com/nhthrower. Also, here is a link to a blog where I've posted all the Hello from Wales weekly updates, an archive of sorts http://kariinwales.blogspot.com. Feel free to share these links with friends. May you all have a nice wintry week!

Take care,
Kari

PS: here are some more words
Chips- French Fries
Crisps- chips
Trainers- sneakers
Kafuffle- a big fuss, a big deal
Geezer- man, guy
Slapper- a woman who "slaps on" a lot of make-up and wears tawdry clothes
Advert- commercial
Porridge-oatmeal
Kitchen roll- paper towels
Toilet roll- toilet paper
Nappie- diaper

No comments: